How Much Is Your Personal Injury Lawsuit Worth?
There are many types of personal injuries that people can, and do, suffer every day. Sometimes accidents happen simply because of unfortunate circumstances that are out of people’s control. However. Other times, accidents occur because someone does something irresponsible or careless. Still, there are other accidents that happen because someone acts negligently or even recklessly, like someone driving under the influence. When these types of accident s occur and someone is injured as a result, the victim(s) might wonder if they can file a lawsuit.
The answer is yes; you can pursue a lawsuit. That does not mean that everyone who files a personal injury lawsuit wins his or her claim. However, with the help of an experienced personal injury attorney in the Peru, IL area you can receive guidance as to whether or not you have a strong case and if you should file a lawsuit. Should you decide to pursue legal action, probably one of the first questions you will have is: “how much will my case be worth?” This is one of the most common questions we hear at our office in regards to personal injury cases.
While it is a very reasonable question, there is no easy answer. There are many factors that come into play when determining how much a personal injury lawsuit will be worth. In most cases, personal injury lawsuits are classified as compensatory, which means the plaintiff is seeking to be compensated for whatever he or she lost in the accident, or because of his or her injuries. There are also several kinds of damages that can fall into this category, including:
- Loss of income – you could be eligible to receive compensation for any income or wages that you’ve lost due to the accident, as well as future income if you are unable to return to work in the same capacity.
- Medical bills – the cost of any medical treatment you receive, as well as any ongoing medical treatment for your injuries, could also be included in your damages.
- Pain & suffering – you can also receive compensation for your pain and suffering, the amount of which will be determined by several factors and varies by case.
- Loss of property – the value of any physical property that was damaged or lost in the accident can also be recovered in a lawsuit.
- Loss of quality of life – some injuries can last for many months, years or even a lifetime, which can greatly reduce your enjoyment in life. You might be entitled to claim damages for that loss.
- Emotional distress – similarly, some accidents and injuries can leave emotional scars that can last for years. Those too can be claimed as damages in a personal injury lawsuit.
If you have been involved in an accident and suffered some kind of personal injury that you believe was someone else’s fault, then you might want file a lawsuit. If you’re not sure about a lawsuit our Streator, IL team of personal injury lawyers can review your case and help you decide if legal action is a good idea. We can also help give you an idea as to how much compensation you should pursue. We understand all the important aspects of a personal injury lawsuit and we can help you through the process. Please contact us today at 815-315-9845 for more help. You can also reach us online by clicking here.