Hablo Español

Recent News

Home / Blog / Car Accidents / What to Do if Involved in Auto Accident with a Stolen Vehicle



Brassfield & Krueger, Ltd.
tw fb gp

What to Do if Involved in Auto Accident with a Stolen Vehicle

Being involved in an auto accident is always scary. Afterwards, you may feel confused and unsure of what to do next or how to pay for the associated expenses of the crash. If you have been involved in an auto accident with another vehicle that was stolen, it is even more confusing.

Car accidents in Illinois are governed by tort law. This means that typically, if someone else’s negligence caused your crash, you can file a claim with their insurance company to recover the damages you need. When someone has stolen a vehicle and is involved in a crash with that vehicle though, the insurance company will not cover the damages. So, how can you recover the financial losses you sustained if the other driver stole the vehicle? You have many options.

Medical Bills

As a tort state, Illinois law does not allow drivers the option of purchasing personal injury protection (PIP). Instead, the law allows motorists to purchase MedPay. With this type of coverage, you can claim coverage with your own insurance company for your hospital bills and medical expenses after a car accident. Unfortunately, MedPay is not required for auto insurance in Illinois. 

Additionally, many drivers feel that auto insurance is too expensive already and so, they do not purchase this optional coverage. When they are in an accident with a stolen vehicle then, they find out too late that they are not covered and are left paying for their medical bills out of their own pocket.

Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage

One type of coverage that all insured motorists can tap into after an accident with a stolen vehicle is uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. In Illinois, this type of coverage is required. When you purchase your auto insurance policy, you must also purchase at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage is very important. It provides protection if you are involved in an accident with a stolen vehicle, a hit and run in which the negligent driver is not found, and when in a crash with uninsured or underinsured motorists.

Collision Coverage

Collision coverage is meant to pay for the damage to your vehicle after a car accident. This coverage is also not required in Illinois. However, if you applied for auto financing, the lender will require you to have full coverage, which includes collision and comprehensive coverage. You may have to pay a deductible but once you do, you can receive the remainder of the repair expenses. In many cases, this means you pay hundreds of dollars to receive thousands, so collision coverage is worthwhile for many people.

Our Car Accident Lawyers in Illinois Can Help After a Crash

Auto accidents involving a stolen vehicle are extremely complicated, and obtaining the necessary coverage is not always easy. At Brassfield & Krueger, Ltd., our Illinois car accident lawyers can identify where you have coverage available and help you claim the full damages you deserve. Call us today or contact us online to schedule a free case review and to learn more about how we can help.

Related News

The femur, known as the largest and strongest bone in the human body, showcases the resilience of our skeletal structure.…Read More

Motorcycle helmet use stands as a significant factor in reducing the severity of injuries from accidents. Illinois takes an individualistic…Read More

Navigating the aftermath of a personal injury can be complex and stressful. At Brassfield & Krueger, Ltd., we understand the…Read More



Schedule A Free No Obligation Consultation

For your convenience, we have offices in Rockford and Streator.