Local roads have been reopened after a serious crash between a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle sent two victims to the hospital. Rockford police report that one of the vehicles failed to yield to oncoming traffic, causing collision at the intersection of Broadway and Parkside Drive.
According to a 23 WIFR news report, law enforcement continue to investigate the incident.
Personal Injury: The Basics
Personal injury law, which covers auto accidents, refers to an area of the law where a victim suffers emotional, mental or physical injury as a result of another’s negligence. Motorcycle accidents tend to result in more serious injuries when a passenger vehicle is involved, particularly because of the lack of protection a motorcyclist has in these types of crashes.
Although some of the most commonly known personal injury cases are those that include a “slip and fall”, there are several other types of injury cases that fall within this area of the law. They include, but are not limited to:
- Car, motorcycle or truck accidents: these cases bring the possibility of recovering damages from the other at-fault driver, the car insurance company, or a third party, depending on the specific factors of the case;
- On-the-job injuries or illnesses: if you are injured on the job, or contract an illness as a result of your work environment, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits if you are a full-time employee;
- Premises liability: generally the property owner is liable for injuries suffered on his or her property, with few exceptions;
- Medical malpractice: whether intended or not, a healthcare provider’s negligent treatment can have catastrophic results and damages may be sought by a victim;
- Industrial diseases: these cases occur when an individual is exposed to toxic chemicals or environments at the workplace, and often result in permanent injuries.
In order to succeed in a personal injury case, the victim – commonly referred to as the plaintiff – must prove that the other party – known as the defendant:
- breached a duty of care;
- this duty was was the actual and proximate cause of the injury; and
- the injury directly resulted in damages.
The Importance of Legal Counsel
A Rockford personal injury attorney can passionately advocate for someone who has been injured as the result of another’s alleged negligence. A skilled personal injury attorney can litigate any civil wrongs as well as calculate and pursue economic and noneconomic damages suffered to the plaintiff’s person or property. A knowledgeable attorney can determine legal issues, conduct research, draft all necessary legal documents, and present arguments in front of a judge and jury.
Damages that may be sought in an Illinois personal injury case include lost past and future wages, past and future medical costs, pain and suffering, property damages, disfigurement and temporary or permanent disability.
We Are Here to Help
Life-changing events resulting from a personal injury, such as temporary or permanent injury, affect all aspects of life. Because these types of lawsuits can be complicated, it is essential to contact an experienced Rockford personal injury attorney right away. Serving clients across Illinois with offices located in Rockford and Streator, our attorneys at Brassfield, Krueger & Ramlow, Ltd. have decades of experience representing clients in personal injury matters. Call (815) 398-9700 today to schedule your initial consultation.