Recent News

Home / Blog / Automobile Accidents / What to Do After an Accident with a Marijuana-Impaired Driver



Brassfield & Krueger, Ltd.
tw fb gp

What to Do After an Accident with a Marijuana-Impaired Driver

Driving under the influence of marijuana is illegal in most states and can have serious consequences for both the impaired driver and any victims involved in an accident. It’s important to know what signs to look for, how to respond in the event of an accident with a marijuana-impaired driver, and when it may be necessary to seek legal assistance.

Is There an Increase in Accidents Due to the Legalization of Marijuana in Illinois?

Despite the recent legalization of marijuana in Illinois, the incidence of impaired drivers has not necessarily risen. Law enforcement agencies are still making sure to keep an eye out for drivers under the influence of cannabis. However, it is important to understand that even if there was an increase in total accident numbers post-legalization, it does not necessarily stem from recent legalization. To prevent accidents caused by any substance, individuals are urged to drive responsibly and be aware of the potential risks involved when driving while high. It is essential to reduce impaired driving on our roads, regardless of what that substance may be. If you find yourself involved in an accident with an impaired driver, there are certain signs to look for if you suspect they are under the influence of marijuana.

Signs that a Driver is Impaired by Marijuana

The most common sign of impairment caused by marijuana use is slowed reaction times and poor coordination. However, there are other possible signs that may appear after marijuana use. Drivers impaired on marijuana may have bloodshot eyes, dilated pupils, or slower than normal speech. They could also display signs of confusion or have difficulty concentrating on tasks such as driving. Other possible signs include decreased coordination, impaired judgment, and inability to track moving objects. 

What To Do in the Event of an Accident with a Marijuana-Impaired Driver

If you are involved in an accident with someone who appears to be impaired on marijuana or another substance, it’s important to remain calm and assess the situation carefully. Call 911 immediately if anyone is injured or if there is property damage resulting from the crash. Do not leave the scene until law enforcement arrives. Instead, take pictures of any visible evidence, including skid marks on the road, and damaged vehicles. Exchange information with all parties involved including names, contact information, license plate numbers, vehicle make/model/year etc., but do not discuss fault at this time. This will be determined later by law enforcement officials. Seek medical attention immediately if you are injured, even if you don’t think your injuries are severe, as some symptoms may not appear until days after the accident occurred.  

Contact a Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney

If you have been injured in an accident involving a driver who was impaired by marijuana or any other substance, contact an experienced personal injury attorney right away. They can help ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process. An attorney will help investigate your case and determine whether compensation is due for medical expenses, lost wages due to time off work while recovering from your injury, pain and suffering caused by the incident, or any other costs associated with the collision that were beyond your control. Don’t wait; contact the expert personal injury attorneys at Brassfield & Krueger today.

Related News

Dogs are often considered man's best friend, but a dog bite can lead to serious injuries and complex legal situations.…Read More

Driving during rainy conditions can be challenging and sometimes hazardous. The rain not only reduces visibility but also makes the…Read More

Workplace injuries can be life-altering, impacting not just the physical well-being of employees but their mental health and financial stability…Read More



Schedule A Free No Obligation Consultation

For your convenience, we have offices in Rockford and Streator.