What to Do After a Car Accident
After an auto accident in northern Illinois, there are a number of steps you should take to protect your best interests, especially if significant injuries or property damage are involved. At Brassfield, Krueger & Ramlow, Ltd., our attorneys help you with all issues related to car accidents in the Rockford area, guiding you through the process of taking legal action against negligent or reckless drivers. With more than 75 years of experience serving our local community, you can trust in the skill and personal attention we deliver to your case.
Steps to take after an auto accident
The aftermath of a car accident can be chaotic, and it can be difficult to think clearly. After taking a few deep breaths and making sure everyone is safe, it’s important to do the following as soon as possible:
- Call the police. This is the first step you should take, even for a minor fender-bender. It will establish an official police report so negligent parties cannot later claim the accident never took place.
- Seek medical attention. If your injuries are serious, get medical treatment right away. Even if your physical damage seems relatively minor, you should still visit a doctor as soon as you can. You’ll want to have medical documentation if you file a personal injury claim.
- Exchange contact information. Speak to the other driver and exchange contact and insurance information. Never admit any degree of fault, even if you think you were at least partially responsible for the auto accident. Doing so could drastically limit your ability to obtain compensation later.
- Speak to witnesses. If there were others who witnessed the crash, ask for their contact information so your lawyer can speak with them later. This could help you establish fault and give you a stronger case.
- Take pictures of the damage. In addition to documenting any injuries, you also need to have proof of any property damage resulting from the accident. Take pictures of the damage right after the crash using a camera you keep in your glove compartment or your cell phone.
- Notify your insurance company. Even if the other driver was completely at fault, you still need to contact your car insurance provider and speak with a representative about the accident and the damage caused. Your insurer can help you get an estimate of how much repairs will cost.
- Contact an attorney. If you have any doubt that you might not receive the compensation to which you’re entitled after an accident, a personal injury attorney can provide valuable advice. A lawyer also helps you negotiate with insurance companies and takes your claim to court, if needed.
Contact an experienced Illinois car accident lawyer
The Rockford and Streator attorneys at Brassfield, Krueger & Ramlow, Ltd. are dedicated to helping you obtain the compensation you need and deserve after a motor vehicle accident. We proudly serve injured people throughout LaSalle, Livingston and Winnebago counties, as well as the surrounding communities. For a free initial consultation, give us a call at 815.398.9700 or contact us online.