Even when the weather is not ideal, many Americans love riding motorcycles. For some riders, it is also the way they make their daily commute. This means that even a short commute to work can turn deadly, resulting in a serious accident with the risk of fatalities. Because riders lack the type of protective structure present in a vehicle, it is more common for people to incur serious injuries and deaths in motorcycle accidents.
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident due to another driver’s negligence, you need to contact an Illinois motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. At Brassfield, Krueger & Ramlow, Ltd., our attorneys have decades of experience fighting for motorcycle accident victims.
Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
There are a number of causes of motorcycle accidents, ranging from driver error, weather, or even a motorcycle defect. Here is a look at some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Illinois:
- Speeding or Driving Under the Influence: Speeding or driving drunk are both major causes of motorcycle accidents. When you mix alcohol and driving, the results are almost always disastrous.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: Vehicle drivers who fail to check their blind spots or not signal can strike a motorcycle rider when making a lane change.
- Left Turns: Vehicle drivers making left turns and failing to yield the right of way to the motorcycle rider can result in a collision. Some drivers do not look carefully enough to see an oncoming motorcycle before starting their turn.
- Car Doors: It is not uncommon for vehicle drivers to open car doors without checking whether or not it is clear. If there is a motorcycle rider coming up, he or she can crash into the open door, resulting in the motorcycle rider flying off the bike.
- Splitting Lanes: When a motorcycle rider is traveling between two lanes of traffic, it is called “lane splitting.” In some states, it is legal. In Illinois, it is not. If a motorcyclist is splitting lanes of traffic, he or she could be the cause of the crash.
- Weather: Weather can be a motorcycle rider’s worst nightmare. Riding a motorcycle on an icy road can be treacherous. While weather may not necessarily be the main factor in motorcycle crashes, it is important to mention because it is often a contributing factor.
- Motorcycle Defects: If the motorcycle has a defective part or was poorly manufactured, the rider may be able to hold one or more companies responsible.
Contact an Illinois Motorcycle Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident caused by another driver or motorcycle rider, contact Brassfield, Krueger & Ramlow, Ltd. as soon as possible to schedule an initial consultation.