Desktop Search Icon
FREE CONSULTATIONS – CALL NOW

815.398.9700

Menu
Search

Recent News

Home / Blog / Automobile Accidents / Fatal Road Work Zone Accidents in Illinois

Categories

Archives

Brassfield & Krueger, Ltd.
tw fb gp

Fatal Road Work Zone Accidents in Illinois

When you drive through Northern Illinois, it seems like our roads are constantly under construction. Roadway zones are high-risk areas for accidents. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) estimates that 857 people were killed in road work zone crashes nationwide in 2020. Here, our Rockford motor vehicle accident lawyer provides an overview of the key things to know about fatal road work zone crashes in Illinois. 

More Roadwork is Coming to Northern Illinois

A significant amount of federal and state money has been allocated for roadway repairs and expansion in Northern Illinois. Over the next decade, there will be a lot of road work taking place in our region and throughout the country. All motorists, construction companies, and highway maintenance workers must take proper safety precautions to limit the risk of serious crashes. 

Many People are Affected By Work Zone Collisions

The FHWA estimates that approximately two percent of all motor vehicle fatalities reported nationwide happen within active highway work zones. Drivers and passengers account for nearly 80% of highway construction work zone deaths. Persons on foot—including pedestrians and workers—account for the remaining 20%. More than one-third of highway work zone fatalities happen on interstates. Even more work-zone deaths happen on arterial roadways. An arterial highway is a high-capacity, non-interstate thoroughfare. 

What to Know About Road Work Zone Wrongful Death Claims

The Illinois wrongful death laws allow eligible surviving family members of the victim to bring a legal claim against the responsible party. Through a wrongful death claim, your family can hold an at-fault party liable for a fatal highway work zone accident. More than one party may bear liability for this type of crash, including: 

  • Motorists;
  • Truck companies; 
  • Construction companies; and
  • Government entities. 

A wrongful death claim in Illinois provides a path to justice for grieving families. Financial compensation may be available for economic and intangible losses, including funeral and burial expenses, loss of financial support, and loss of love, comfort, companionship, and consortium. 

Note: The family of a highway worker killed in a work zone crash may have a no-fault claim for death benefits through the Illinois workers’ comp system. They can also bring a fault-based wrongful death lawsuit against any negligent party other than the deceased worker’s employer. 

Contact Our Illinois Fatal Work Zone Accident Attorney Today

At Brassfield & Krueger, Ltd., our Illinois wrongful death lawyer has the skills, experience, and expertise to protect the rights of families. If your loved one was killed in a work zone crash, we are here to help. Reach out to us by phone or contact us online to schedule your free consultation. With offices in Rockford and Streator, we handle fatal accident claims throughout Northern Illinois. 

Related News

Also referred to as whiteline fever, highway hypnosis is a term used to describe a mental state during which drivers…Read More

When you drive through Northern Illinois, it seems like our roads are constantly under construction. Roadway zones are high-risk areas…Read More

Head injuries are common as the result of motor vehicle accidents, slips and falls, or being struck by or against…Read More

Schedule A Free No Obligation Consultation

For your convenience, we have offices in Rockford and Streator.

Call Now Button