Freeport Truck Accident Attorney
Semi-truck accidents are quite different from typical auto accidents. In and around the Freeport area, truck traffic is increasing. Also, frequent construction means higher chances of being involved in a crash.
If you are hurt by a negligent truck driver, let Brassfield, Krueger & Ramlow, Ltd. help you seek the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys are part of a long heritage of service throughout the region. For more than 75 years, our firm has protected the rights of injured people.
Common Truck Accidents
There are numerous ways that a truck crash can happen. Here are just a few of the more common ways that people get hurt by semi-trucks:
- Texting truck drivers. The federal motor carrier rules prohibit truck drivers from using handheld devices, as do Illinois laws. This does not stop some careless truck drivers from attempting to text or surf the Web while driving.
- Drunk truck drivers. It may seem unimaginable that someone would operate an 80,000-pound tractor-trailer under the influence of alcohol, but it definitely happens.
- Asleep at the wheel crashes. Perhaps the most common type of deadly tractor-trailer accidents, when truck drivers do not comply with federal hours of service regulations or attempt to drive when fatigued, it can cause them to fall asleep at the wheel. These are frequently the cause of fatal highway collisions that claim innocent lives.
- Medication and drug-impaired truckers. Many truck drivers take prescription medications that have side effects that can lead to exhaustion and drowsiness. Others may take over-the-counter supplements to stay awake, which can have the opposite effect.
- Overweight loads. Truck drivers and warehouse companies are responsible for ensuring that all loads are within the weight restrictions for their vehicles. Otherwise, it can lead to difficulty steering and stopping.
- Mechanical failures. Poorly maintained equipment can also be a problem. For instance, bad brake lines, broken tandems, and airline connections in disrepair can lead to a runaway truck.
- Careless driving. Tailgating and aggressive trucker behavior claim a lot of lives each year. Some drivers make a bad name for the profession through reckless and careless behavior on the road.
What to do After a Trucking Collision in Freeport
First, it is extremely important that you contact an attorney immediately. If you call us quickly, our firm can have an investigator on-scene to investigate the crash, take photos, and preserve critical evidence. Otherwise, the trucking company may destroy evidence or conceal damages. Here is what you should do:
- Go to the hospital immediately
- Take photos if possible
- Call a lawyer
- Do not speak to anyone other than your attorney
If you have been in a trucking accident in Freeport, IL, give our firm a call today. We only take a fee if we can get you compensation for your injuries.